Friday, October 18, 2013

Ubuntu 13.10 for Galaxy Nexus - first look


I have to say I was very excited to install freshly released Ubuntu 13.10 for Nexus devices. I couldn't resist so I took my old Galaxy Nexus (maguro) and I started the installation procedure. It's very simple to do it all manually. Screenshots below!

I didn't have much time to play with this OS on my device, but so far I have mixed feelings. I am aware it's the first public release and it MUST have bugs. Of course all fundamental features are working fine (GPS, modem, camera, Bluetooth, touch panel etc.) and on the project site it's clearly stated that:
"It is an experimental development snapshot that can potentially brick your device. It does not provide all of the features and services of a retail phone and cannot replace your current handset. This preview is the first release of a very new and unfinished version of Ubuntu and it will evolve quickly."
So far I had few issues like not responding touch screen, system hangs from time to time or it slows down, so that you can't basically do anything except from reboot. However, in most cases it's very snappy. Navigating through the system is completely different than on Android. There are no back or home keys, you need to swipe left/right/down/up and swiping effect is different if you swipe from the centre of the screen or from the edge.

I have a feeling that the whole UI is sort of "too large". Massive icons are taking a lot of space and working with this interface is far from being intuitive. I think that this OS would be much more suitable for tablets instead, where the average screen size is 10".

In current stage this OS is surely not suitable for daily use, but the developers are working very hard to fix all submitted issues and to preview all commits. Here are the screenshots:

Home Screen with 3 additional desktops: Music, Applications and Videos


Lock-screen (swipe left to unlock)


System Settings, About the phone and Battery


Phone, Messages and Contacts


Calendar and Album


Sort of "Quick Settings" available from the notification menu



Installed applications screen and a "must have" app ;)


Weather, Gmail and Notes


Navigation panel (available on every screen, even lock-screen), File Manager and Camera



That would be all for now. I think the first preview of the Ubuntu OS for phones looks very promising, however it's officially available only for 3 devices for now and it can't be used as a daily driver just yet.

Have any questions or comments? Feel free to share! Also, if you like this article, please use media sharing buttons (Twitter, G+, Facebook) below this post!

8 comments:

  1. How does the music app work. Thinking about using my old GN as a Ubuntu mp3 player

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were you I would use native Android music player. Much more intuitive.

      Delete
  2. Can you run wine on it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you mean "run PC-Windows software on my phone"? Nope. Wine stands for Wine Is Not Emulator. This means that it will not run x86 software on arm devices.

      Delete
  3. Looks cool. I look foward to the success of the SO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike please don't forget about our (old) Galaxy Nexus and please release a JWR66Y build...
    I know the Nexus 5 and Android 4.4 KitKat release is close, but let the GNex enjoy the latest official update from Google plus the awesome speed/battery life enhancements of ARHD! I've been following your work since like the very beginning of GNex developement (almost 2 years man :O, ah memories), please don't let me down now!
    Also, it would be nice if you would replace Superuser with SuperSU in your ROM (it's soooo much better)

    I can't describe how much respect I have for you man,
    Regards from Węgry :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, I have installed an early testing versione. Of Ubuntu touch in February, and now I woukd try this, but using my Maguro as my personal phone was difficult. Thanks of your article, is bettet to wait some other time to have a full-functional release!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jadwal Resmi Adu Ayam SV388 9 Maret 2019 di Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online Melalui Agen Resmi Taruhan Sabung Ayam Live Asli Thailand.

    Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online SV388 Merupakan Situs Judi Asal Thailand Yang Sangat Terkenal Dengan Permainan Sabung Ayam Yang Fair dan Menghibur Para Penonton Judi Sabung Ayam.

    Untuk Info Lebih Lanjut Bisa Hub kami Di :
    wechat : bolavita
    line : cs_bolavita
    whatsapp : +628122222995
    BBM: BOLAVITA

    ReplyDelete